Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines
|Donald Trump's week of living dangerously
From bad economic news to the ongoing government shutdown to bombshell reports that he directed his lawyer to lie to Congress, it has been a week to forget for the president.
POSTED JANUARY 18, 2019 3:57 PM
|Winter storm forces airline cancellations, road troubles
DETROIT (AP) — A plane carrying 129 people skidded Saturday from a slick Chicago runway and a plow driver was killed when his truck rolled over outside Kansas City following a winter storm that covered many parts of the Midwest in snow and ice.
POSTED JANUARY 19, 2019 5:59 PM
|Six suspects in court over Nairobi hotel attack
Six suspects, including a Canadian national, appeared in a Kenyan court on Friday in connection with a radical Islamist attack on a Nairobi hotel complex that left 21 dead. A magistrate granted a request from the prosecution to detain four men and one woman for 30 days while investigations continue. The suspects are accused of "possible involvement" in the almost 20-hour siege of the DusitD2 hotel and office complex by a suicide bomber and four gunmen who were killed by security forces, a court document said.
POSTED JANUARY 18, 2019 1:55 PM
|Mexican airline trolls Americans with brilliant ad
While the debate over immigration and a border wall between the United States and Mexico has helped grind the U.S. federal government to a halt, Mexico's national airline, AeroMexico, is trolling Americans with a new ad called "DNA Discounts."
The ad features purported residents of Wharton, Texas, a town about 60 miles southwest of Houston, professing a variety of opinions about Mexico and its citizens. The ad also drops some knowledge about the long history of immigration from Mexico to the U.S., and notes that many in southern and southwestern states have a touch of Mexican DNA.
Things get flipped when the airline reveals it's offering flight discounts to Americans, including those Wharton residents, based on the amount of Mexican DNA they have (i.e., 18 percent DNA equals an 18 percent discount). That certainly turns opinions around. As one recipient says, "I love discounts!"
Of course, it's such a brilliant ad, it's hard to tell if those Wharton residents are real or just actors and if this whole DNA discount thing is real or satirical. Aeromexico, which has gotten political before, isn't saying much, but we've reached out for comment and will update this post when we hear back.
Either way, it's a brilliant gambit that undermines the vitriol so many Americans have expressed at our neighbors to the south, and does so without ever directly mentioning the political turmoil, the wall, or even President Trump. Instead, it directs that energy at a sense of shared community, including the tagline, "There are no borders within us." Not a bad way to spread a powerful message.
POSTED JANUARY 18, 2019 9:53 AM
|First picture: Prince Philip car crash victim 'not getting enough support from Palace'
A mother of two whose wrist was broken when the car she was in collided with Prince Philip’s Land Rover has told friends she is “unhappy” with the way Buckingham Palace has handled the accident. The Telegraph can reveal that Emma Fairweather, 45, was the passenger in the Kia car last Thursday when it struck the Duke of Edinburgh’s Land Rover near the Queen’s Sandringham estate in Norfolk. Ms Fairweather has since complained of feeling “overwhelmed” by the experience of being involved, firstly, in a crash and, secondly, in one involving the husband of the monarch. Friends and relatives described Ms Fairweather as a “warm and caring woman”, as well as a devoted mother of two teenage children. They said she had told of how “she still has not been cleared” by doctors as fit and well after suffering the injury to her wrist. Others have claimed Ms Fairweather, as well as the 28-year-old female Kia driver who suffered cuts to her knee, had felt “unhappy” because they said they had been “advised” by police not to talk about the collision. No-one from Norfolk Police was available for comment on Saturday. The younger woman’s nine-month-old baby was in the back of the Kia and survived without any injuries after the vehicle struck the Duke’s two-tonne car on the A149 sending it rolling across the road. Ms Fairweather has told friends she is unhappy with how Buckingham Palace handled the crash There was no suggestion the car was speeding. The two women and the Duke were breathalysed but neither was over the drink drive limit. A source has since confirmed that the Duke took and passed a police eyesight test, as part of the ongoing investigation. Four people had to help the visibly shaken prince out of the Freelander. Others went to the aid of the two women and baby in the Kia amid fears that smoke coming from vehicle could lead to an explosion or fire. A source who knows Ms Fairweather and spoke on condition of anonymity said the mother of two was “frustrated” with how the episode had been handled as she was caught up in a crash that has made headlines around the world. The woman explained: “She said, ‘It’s suddenly become so overwhelming that I’m quite tempted to simply go home. I’m just wondering if I’m out of my depth and should retreat.” While Ms Fairweather has not yet elaborated on exactly why she felt unhappy, there has been considerable dismay locally that the police took a day to reveal that a nine-month-old baby was also in the Kia vehicle. The scene of the crash last week Buckingham Palace revealed earlier that “contact had been made privately with the passengers in the other car and well-wishes had been exchanged”, however it remains unclear whether the prince made that approach or if it been an aid. Meanwhile, some locals have complained that it required an accident involving a member of the Royal Family on a notorious stretch of the A149 to prompt the council to lower the speed limit from 60mph to 50mph. Among those killed on the road is Sandra Greenacre, a 51-year-old police community support officer, who died after being involved in an accident on her way to work in 2013. Her son, Danny Child, 27, from King’s Lynn, told The Telegraph: “Personally, I feel like it is disrespectful to everyone who has had a road traffic collision on the A149. "It’s been an issue for the last five to six years but now a royal has had a crash something has been done. I just feel like it’s disrespectful.” It is not the first time the prince has been involved in a collision. In January 1996, Prince Philip, then 74, was involved in an accident in Brandon, Suffolk, while travelling from Sandringham. Both vehicles were damaged in the prang. Ms Fairweather also told friends how she had been moved by the “numerous” family members and former neighbours eager to ensure she was safe and well. The Duke of Edinburgh returned to the road in a new car on Saturday Credit: Geoff Robinson One neighbour in Kings Lynn, where Ms Fairweather lived for three years before moving out last year, said she was a “wonderfully warm” woman and a “fantastic mother” who was seen regularly walking her dog. “She will be terribly shocked to be caught up in this whole thing. I can’t imagine how she feels about it all,” he said. Ms Fairweather had lived in a two-up-two down semi-detached house, along with her two teenage children, Alex, a 19-year-old fine art student at York University, and a teenage son. It is understood Ms Fairweather summoned a relative, Samantha Fairweather, 38, to the scene of the accident to comfort her. They were photographed alongside the prince’s Land Rover which had rolled onto its side, as well as the Kia car in a hedge. The Duke was reported to have said “I’m such a fool” to a member of the public who had helped him out the car. Victoria Warne, 72, who stopped at the scene with her husband, Roy, 75, said the prince “looked so worried”, adding: “I’m such a fool.” It is understood a bidding war has broken out among tabloid news outlets for Ms Fairweather’s account of the crash and her treatment by the authorities in the aftermath. Additional reporting by Helena Horton and Mike Wright.
POSTED JANUARY 19, 2019 4:00 PM
|US Navy chief hints aircraft carrier could be sent through Taiwan Strait, despite threat of new Chinese missiles
The US Navy could still send an aircraft carrier through the Taiwan Strait in spite of Chinese military technology advances which pose a greater threat to American warships than ever before, the US chief of naval operations has said. Such an operation would inevitably increase the risk of military conflict between the world's largest superpowers, which are currently locked in an escalating trade war and ongoing disputes over territorial claims in the South China Sea. Washington sent ships through the strategic waterway, which separates Taiwan from the Chinese mainland, three times last year, but has not dispatched a carrier in more than 10 years.
POSTED JANUARY 18, 2019 7:47 AM
|Singapore Plans to Buy F-35 Fighter Jets to Replace F-16 Fleet
The Air Force’s F-16s that were in service since 1998 will retire soon after 2030, Defense Minister Ng Eng Hen said in a Facebook post the same day. Singapore has an annual defense budget of S$14.76 billion ($10.9 billion), the Straits Times reported in March 2018.
POSTED JANUARY 18, 2019 8:58 PM
|What is open and closed on Martin Luther King Jr. Day?
Federal offices usually closed on the third Monday of every January to honor the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.
POSTED JANUARY 18, 2019 12:38 PM
|'We'll Have No Other Option Than Declaring Bankruptcy.' How the Shutdown Could Impact Government Workers for Months
'It just feels like such a betrayal,' says one impacted government contractor
POSTED JANUARY 18, 2019 2:32 PM
|Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani mocked by late night hosts for 'admitting' that Trump campaign colluded with Russia
Late night hosts mock Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani for 'admitting' that Trump campaign colluded with Russia.
POSTED JANUARY 18, 2019 9:01 AM